So a long long time ago, SheInside.com wrote me and asked if I would like to sample something from their HUGE selection of online clothing. I'll admit, my wardrobe was (and is) seriously lacking so I jumped at the opportunity.
Now, before I go any further you need to know that I have a problem. A little black dress problem. I think I own .... 1, 2, .... 3 .... 6, yup SIX little black dresses in various styles from sweet to chic to absolutely scandalous. Now, this isn't because I actually have the kind of social life that requires a closet full of LBDs, I just think day-to-day clothing is so boring and in my head I'm a fabulous socialite who only ever needs swanky evening wear and 5-inch heels (but I'm not, and I don't). However, instead of using this as an opportunity to expand my lacking day-wear closet, I chose yet another LBD. Like I said. I have a problem. But whatever, WANNA SEE HOW CUTE IT IS?! I thought so. Let's have a look:
This is what the dress looks like on the website and on a runway model. I however am neither a model or a webpage, so this is what it actually looks like on me. For styling, the dress really reminds me of the iconic LBD & chunky necklace that Audrey Hepburn donned as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's so I tried to make the whole look from the hair to the makeup evocative of that image as well. You can judge for yourself whether or not I did okay channeling Audrey/Holly.
Okay, so I'm definitely not a model or fashionista blogger but I did my best!! Now on to what I'm actually good at, makeup!
This last shot is to give you a closer look at the beading detail around the neckline & shoulders, as well as to show you the makeup that I did to pair with this dress. I did a very subtle nude pink eye with Colette lashes from Faux Lash and a whole mess of lipsticks (I think I mixed about four shades to get this color). Very simple, timeless and classic. Just like Ms. Hepburn. Not my 'usual' style, but still fun to play dress up all the same. This would also be the perfect dress if you wanted to emulate Ms. Audrey Hepburn for Halloween (cigarette holder not included).
|Colette Lashes from FauxLash.com|
Okay, so here's my insight on SheInside & the Black Split Sleeve Beaded Dress. Let me start of with what I liked the most.
- SheInside has FREE international shipping. As a Canadian who usually pays out the ass for S&H this is a HUGE plus for me.
- My dress came fairly quickly (7 days), which is pretty amazing considering it shipped from Singapore and some American companies can't even get product across the border in under two-weeks
- The cost is a reasonable $45.00 USD. But with all the constant sales (it's $5.00 off right now) & promo codes (15% off code for your first purchase) you can get this dress or most anything for a damn good deal.
- The sizing was spot on, it was definitely on target with the measurements which gives you some assurance if you're scared of online shopping purchases showing up & not fitting.
- It's smallest right under the bustline and flares out from there; if you want to hide your waist or hips, this dress will definitely do the trick. Great for pear-shaped girls!
- The dress material is quite good quality and I've had no issues with the beading falling apart. I've worn it a few times now and it's still going strong which is more than I can say for some of the stuff I've bought from major N.A. retailers for the same price or more.
DON'T BUY THIS DRESS IF ...
- You are busty (bigger than a small C-cup). This draping of this dress looks best on a pear or waifish figure. So if you have small or medium sized breasts this dress will give you a lovely silhouette but busty girls beware, I tried this on with my super padded pushup and it looked absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend it.
- You are self-conscious about short dresses. It's by no means a slutty short dress but it might be a bit much for some. It was fine while I was standing straight but slight bends made it rise up a bit.
- You aren't going to dry clean it. The beading means you can't throw it straight in the wash so if you're not good about maintenance it will probably fall apart.
Even if this particular dress isn't for you, I still recommend you check out their huge selection of clothes because with that many choices you're bound to find something you like. Happy shopping!